Bubbles are fascinating phenomena. Frequently they are formed when soap molecules surround dirt and oils, separating them from our clothes or skin, to be washed away by water. Physically, bubbles represent a small volume of gas within a liquid or a solid, like the air within the translucent liquid membrane of a bath bubble.
In medical school, I learned that cells, in the human body, are somewhat like bubbles. Cell membranes are composed of a phospholipid bilayer, which separate the liquid inside the cell from the substance and elements outside. Proteins within the cell membrane allow molecules or ions to move from one side to the other. Our bodies are composed of millions of self-replicating 'bubbles', with amazing properties that depend, in part, upon their ability to create a unique inner cellular milieau.
In 2012, we were less concerned with physical bubbles (or cells) then with the 'bubbles' of higher institutions. In the deluge of college propaganda, we read about the "Haverford bubble", encompassing students at that institution, and allowing them unlimited creativity. And, on a visit to Davidson, we heard about the "Davidson bubble" separating the students at Davidson College from the ideologically different residents of the outside community. In fact, it seems that every college community has a sort of effervescent semi-permeable membrane separating them from the world at large.
Metaphorically, bubbles represent things without permanence or substance. Merriam Webster defines a bubble as, among other things, "something that lacks firmness, solidity, or reality". So... it seems that, for the last couple of years, Dianne and I, and Jasmine and Samantha, have been looking around for a place that will provide an unsteady, fluid, and unreal experience that will ultimately make them more qualified to live and work in the 'real' world!
In our search for the perfect 'bubble', we took a trip to see some colleges of interest in North Carolina; ultimately visiting Duke, UNC - Asheville, Western Carolina University, Davidson, Wake Forest, and Elon. We learned that Duke has the best stand up comedy routine by an admissions counselor; Elon has an audiovisual docudrama presentation that will make you cry; UNC Asheville is only a wise choice if you are physically fit; but the downtown area is chock full of restaurants of every kind. Are these the factors that we should use to find a school?
In truth... we've learned a lot about the schools in our home state, and about schools from other states that we visited; like Fordham in the Bronx, and Sarah Lawrence in Bronxville. and the College of Charleston in it's namesake city. But it doesn't really matter what we (as in, the royal 'we' of parents,) think about the school. What really matters is what they (as in, Jasmine and Samantha,) think; since they will be the ones who have to live and breath the academic air, of their own academic 'bubble', for the next four years.
What I (speaking only for myself) have really learned; is that I was pretty naive when I made my own college applications; and even more naive and... yes... arbitrary when I made my college decisions. I'm not as smart as I think I am (and according to Jasmine, I'm not as funny as I think I am). In short, I've been living in a bubble of delusion for 30 years. Well... I say we should embrace the bubble...embrace the crazy... and enjoy our time in the bubble of self deception as long as possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment