It's the
little things that get you. I didn't feel homesick until I saw a picture of
home. It’s not even that good of a picture. Blurry, quick, taken via
smartphone. But even a quick glimpse of my couch and my cat was enough to have
me near tears.
The Great
College Farewell was, ultimately, an anti-climax. There were no streamers, no
huge dramatic farewell scenes, no marching band (which I think my sister would
agree was a grievous error--marching bands should follow people about wherever
they go). There were some tears and that was it. We said goodbye. We hugged.
They left.
It didn’t
really feel any different. It was like turning 18, or getting my driver’s
license for the first time, or graduating from high school. A single event—a
minute’s worth of time—doesn’t change you. It’s life that does that.
These
milestones in life—I think we try to make them into representations of the
black and white world that we want. We want goodbyes to be easy and finite. We
want to be able to divide our life into neat little sections during which we
can summarize everything that has happened to us—all the ways in which we have
changed. We want to be able to pack our entire emotional life into a single
moment, because then when that moment ends, we know that we’ll be able to let
our emotions and experiences go as well.
We’ll be able
to move on.
Goodbyes, in
fact, do not work like that. People we meet take up a space in our minds that
we never get back. They live in our memories of them. And people deal with
these memories in all kinds of different ways. They mourn, they forget, they
deny. But regardless or how much they want to or not, they all move on
eventually. Time is tricky that way.
We have to
find new ways to deal with the new challenges we face. The new people we face.
Here at Case, I have to take initiative to get what I want. I have to make people see me. I keep having to
encourage myself to leave my dorm, to go up to someone and say hi, to ask
someone out to lunch. I keep having to remind myself that making friends is an
active endeavor—that hanging out with people means you have to talk to them and
invite yourself to whatever they’re doing first. New challenges.
Marching bands SHOULD follow people about wherever they go. : ) And referring to your earlier posts, though I know I need not mention it again, I kind of hate you for getting to see Rite of Spring with Vasiliev's choreography; I have NEVER heard it called Egyptian Rattlesnake Screw; and I totally know what you mean about having to put everything you say into context. It's irksome. But having to put together our CWRU marching band show in a single morning this Saturday should form a v. interesting common experience about which to converse. Also, that pic did hit me with homesickness harder than I expected. Been keeping busy and not noticing it, I guess.
ReplyDelete