Clearly, I was not that prepared to start college. Because
like my freshman year of high school, I find myself trying to do everything. My
seldom reminders of not to do too much have been too seldom. Too easily
ignored. And it’s just now I realize that if I continue down this path, I will
end up permanently in therapy.
There are several things I want to address in this blog.
Firstly I’d like to start the blog with a list of warnings for future
generations of college students. These are all signs that you are trying to do
too much. Recognize them. And if you find yourself doing them, maybe it’s time
to sit down for an afternoon and re-examine your life.
The first semester of freshman year is a lot like the first
season of a young, bright-eyed ingénue living in 19th Century
Victorian England. The 18-year-old beauty is presented to the Queen, and then
released out into the world to dance with men and try to attract a marriage
proposal. Being young and bright eyed, she actually attracts many marriage proposals. In this
scenario, the freshman is the young ingénue, and the massive conglomeration of
student organizations on campus is the population of eligible young men. Like a
young ingénue, the inexperienced freshman must be cautious and discerning in
such a world. There are several rules that must be followed at all times.
- Don’t accept the first proposal you get: Every club on campus is vying for your attention and membership. Don’t be attracted to the first offer you receive. Think it over, and decide if you really want to join this particular club, or if you’re just accepting their proposal out of desperation to be part of a club.
- Don’t accept a proposal out of pity: Some clubs are less eligible than others, in that they have a very small population of members. These clubs are the more persistent ones. But be warned: don’t join them just because you feel sorry for them.
- Follow your heart: After the first student activities fair you attend, you may find yourself driven in so many different directions you think it’s impossible to decide. Some words of advice: consider seriously the clubs you are genuinely interested in. There’s no use in putting off a decision just because you don’t want to admit that you love one club, and that you don’t love another club. Suck it up and reject some of your suitors.....I mean, clubs. Suck it up and reject some clubs. The best way to reject a club? Politely. Don’t draw it out and don’t lead anyone on, and they’ll get over it.
- Don’t accept too many proposals: Like a marriage, membership of a club requires commitment, devotion, and love. If you find yourself too busy to commit, too unenthusiastic to be devoted to the club, or too stressed to love the club the way it deserves to be loved…I have two words for you. Drop something,
Secondly, I’d like to address my own personal experience
with club-joining. To this end, I have decided that the clubs courting my
attention must each duel each other in a battle to the death.
No, don’t keep reading, take a moment to picture it.
It would be awesome.
If I could photoshop….
Okay, what I’m actually going to do is create a bracket,
NCAA style. Oh, whatever, so I’m organized in the extreme, deal with it. It
helps me think. The goal of this exercise is to narrow my activities down to
ONE OR TWO CLUBS. So I’m only insane some of the time, as opposed to all of the
time. Here goes.

Tappers?
ReplyDeleteDo they really call it footies? Also, how could you pit Film Society against the radio station? AAGH that's an impossible choice.
ReplyDeleteTap Dancing Society.
ReplyDeleteYes what else would they call it? Footlighters is too long. XD.
All of them are impossible choices.
I didn't know that you liked tap so much that it would make the top 6!
Delete